Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Babies, baths, and juice

So it's been about 2 months since I intended to start this endeavor. I guess for the most part, the nights have been a little late, the house is a constant mess-in-progress, and I just haven't been inspired to write much. But over the last couple of days my son has blessed me with some adorable, 4-year-old wisdom that seems worth sharing!

Last weekend we went to a baby shower for one of our nieces. I had told Alec a few days beforehand that we would be going to the baby shower on Saturday. On Friday, he asked me when we would see the baby take a bath. The discussion of "showering with gifts" vs. "putting a baby in the tub" ensued for the next few days, including the fact that the baby was still in Cousin's tummy. Sunday evening, as we were getting ready for bed, he asked me about it again. I told him that we gave gifts to the baby, and that was what "shower" meant. I also asked him if he remembered seeing the baby in our niece's tummy, which he did.

Now, we've had lots of discussions about babies in mommies' tummies, and have explained many times that he did not grow in my tummy. But hey, he's 4, so he asks again. I'm good with that. Actually, he really doesn't ask - he will say "And I grew in Mommy's tummy!" My response is always, no, you didn't grow in Mommy's tummy, because Mommy can't grow babies in her tummy. But you grew in your Birth Mommy's tummy, and then you came to us to be our baby boy and that made us so very happy! Sometimes the explanation is more in-depth, sometimes less - I let him lead the way depending on how much he feels he needs to know at that point. But this conversation quickly took a direction I didn't expect.

"Did it go in there?" (pointing to his mouth)
I looked at him quizzically, not sure where this was going...
"Did the baby go in her mouth - like this - and then in her tummy?"
Oh my...
"Well, honey, it's not exactly like that..."
"Mommy?"
"Yes, honey?"
Oh no...what now? Is it time for birds and bees? I haven't thought about that yet...panic! panic! pan...
"Can I have some juice?"
Phew. Guess I'd better work on an answer for THAT one for the next time around.

2 comments:

Michelle Riggs said...

Very cute. Abby doesn't "get it" at all yet. She thinks that you just go to Guatemala and "get a baby" I guess that it is what she thinks happened with her little brother.

oh well I will keep trying.

How is your daughter doing?

Becky said...

Michelle, how kind of you to ask about my daughter. She has been doing miraculously well since our last scare in April. We are grateful.

I pray that Abby's clinic visit went well today. She's amazing.

Becky